Corleone tour: beyond the mafia
The name "Corleone" is not simply that of a Godfather. Discover this pictoresque village in the middle of the Sicilian counrtyside, enjoy the warm hospitality of the people and their effort to struggle against the Mafia.
- 8 hours
- minimum 1
- every Friday
- Explore the alleys of Corleone with a local activist
- Learn about the history of the Mafia in Corleone through the painting of Gaetano Porcasi
- Discover how is to leave in Corleone today
- Enjoy the best viewpoint over the village and the surrounding countryside
This little town call to mind the violence of the Mafia: the real one, connected to the names of the 'Boss of all bosses' Totò Riina, and the fictional one, related to the the Godfather movies. But with us you will see the real Corleone, beyond the stereotypes.
The guided tour, lead by an activist of a local non-profit orgaization, will retrace the history of Corleone from the late nineteenth century, when the Peasant struggle was the only form of Anti-mafia resistance.
You will discover how some of the leaders of this mass-movement, born and raised in Corleone, were killed by the Mafia and became symbol of the Anti-mafia liberation.
The tour runs through the city center and climbs up to wonderful panoramic viewpoints, where you can enjoy the beauty of the Sicilian countryside. It also includes the 'Laboratory of Legality'. Here you can admire the works of the Sicilian painter Gaetano Porcasi, which focus on the history of the Mafia and the Anti-mafia movement in Corleone.
After the tour the travellers say:
- “We really had a good and educational day”
- “Our guide was a very good host. His knowledge and his skills in storytelling are giving this trip to Corleone really extra value.”
- “One of the best tours my wife and I have ever taken.”